Police in Bali has confirmed the arrest and charge of two tourists in Bali. The two tourists, a couple, were arrested by Badung Police for the violent assault of a 31-year-old Philippino woman. The attacker, known by his initials JPA, 36, is believed to have been assisted by his girlfriend, MCO, 25. The couple is believed to be staying in Bali temporarily and usually reside in California.
Speaking at a press conference at the Badung Police HQ, Badung Police Chief AKBP Leo Dedy Defretes told reporters that the attack happened at around 2 am on Monday, 21st November. He confirmed that the attack was a serious assault. He said, “It happened in a villa on Jalan Batu Mejan, Canggu Village, North Kuta District, Badung Regency, Bali”. He described how the Californian couple were hanging out with the victim and had dinner together in Canggu the night of the attack.
According to AKBP Defretes, the couple convinced the victim to join them back at their villa, to which she obliged. However, shortly after arriving at the villa, the victim went to use the bathroom, where she was attacked by JPA, who was assisted by his girlfriend. The Police Chief described how the victim was held down by MCO so that she would not struggle against JPA’s assault.
Police confirmed that the victim left the villa as soon as possible and filed a report with Badung Police. During the press conference, JPA and MCO could be seen on the stage, Both were wearing orange prison uniforms and handcuffed. The couple is both being held on rape charges and are awaiting trial. They face a maximum imprisonment of 12 years.
AKBP Defretes confirmed that the investigation remains underway and will continue when the victim is in a stronger headspace to support the police with their investigation. This news comes just days after Badung Police confirmed the violent assault of an Australian tourist in Seminyak on Friday 2nd December.
Local police shared with the media that the woman, known by her initials RTC, 31, was driven back to the hotel room of a Nigerian man after he had been plying her with alcohol during a date. According to police, the perpetrator, known by his initials IJS, picked RTC up from The Magani Hotel and Spa in Legian at around 6 pm on Friday night. It is known that they had connected on a dating app in the days before the attack and had agreed to hang out on Friday night.
Police described how they went for dinner in the Legian area and then moved to another venue to hang out and drink in the Kuta area. Local reports describe how by the time they came to leave, RTC was seriously intoxicated after “having been force-fed a number of bottles of Bintang beer.” It is claimed that IJS told RTC that he would drive her back to her hotel when in fact, he drove her to his accommodation on Jalan Teuku Umar Barat, Denpasar. Police have not publicly ruled out whether IJS spiked his victim’s drinks.
Police continue to investigate both of these disturbing cases. The news of these attacks comes in the same week as Indonesia passed new laws. This has caused much discussion in the media about the implications for travelers heading to the country’s leading tourist hotspots.
Some parties call the new laws a ‘major step backward for Indonesian democracy’ and worry about the impact it will have on Indonesian people and tourists. However, it can only be reported to the police by a close relative who is negatively affected by the relationship, such as a parent or child.
Plan Your Next Bali Vacation:
Book The Best English Speaking Drivers For Airport Transfers & Tours
Choose From Thousands of Bali Hotels, Resorts, and Hostels with Free Cancellation On Most Properties
For the latest Bali News & Debate Join our Facebook Community
SUBSCRIBE TO NEW POSTS
Enter your email address to subscribe to The Bali Sun’s latest breaking news, straight to your inbox.