Bali has recorded its second highest spike in covid-19 cases since the pandemic began. 112 new cases were confirmed yesterday but the Bali Governor says they are not a results of the ‘new normal’ which began on July 9th.
Bali Governor Wayan Koster denied that the recent spike in COVID-19 cases resulted from loosened restrictions which began last Thursday, noting instead the province’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak is going well.
Bali recorded its second-highest spike yesterday since the onset of the outbreak, with 112 new COVID-19 cases that brought the provincial total to 2,533.
It’s the second time in the past week since the province recorded over a hundred daily cases according to Coconuts.
The provincial government reopened activities within the island on July 9, which has seen a gradual return across different sectors under strict health protocols.
Tourism and education are the two sectors that have not yet reopened, though there are some exceptions, such as beaches located in Denpasar city and Badung regency which were reopened last week.
Officials will be evaluating the impact of the loosened restrictions thus far, which set the framework on if phase 2 and 3 move ahead.
Koster said that the recent spike in COVID-19 cases were “not significant,” and is of the opinion that the restarting of activities have gone well so far.