Gianyar regent I Made Mahayastra has reportedly threatened the closure of the spiritual community House of Om following an event last week that drew a crowd of people who ignored all health protocols amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
social distancing? ❌— Jenny Jusuf (@JennyJusuf) June 20, 2020
kurang dari 20 orang? ❌
ada orang indonesia di sana? kalau dari foto2 sih kayaknya nggak.
jumlah orang terinfeksi #COVID19 di bali makin meningkat.
apakah mereka peduli? ❌
cc @BaleBengong @ditjen_imigrasi @imngurahrai @Indounik pic.twitter.com/in2lFaSwgQ
Made Gede Wisnu Wijaya, secretary of the Gianyar regency, confirmed that the regent directly warned House of Om in a meeting this morning, adding that community founder Wissam Barakeh had promised to not make the same mistake again.
House of Om has been blasted on social media since the weekend for allegedly hosting a crowded event last Thursday, following the circulation of photos believed to have been from the event, which showed dozens of people gathering close together with without wearing masks. Many were upset that the spiritual community/holistic school held the event despite the rising number of local transmission cases in Bali.
Officials said that, during the meeting, Barakeh said he had no intention to violate existing health protocols. However, a now-deleted post on Instagram by House of Om which invited people to join them for the event included their intention to gather more than 100 people “in order to co-create an amazing celebration together.”
Bali reported 36 additional COVID-19 cases today, bringing the provincial tally to 1,116, which includes nine deaths.
Barakeh initially denied that the photos were from the recent event, but took to Instagram yesterday morning to apologize and claim full responsibility for the event.