Skip to Content

Bali Supports Flores Islands As Tourists Advised To Check Travel Plans After Earthquake

Share The Article

Indonesia is still coming to grips with the impact of the 7.7 magnitude earthquake that struck the Flores Islands on Saturday 15th August.

On Monday 17th August, a second significant earthquake hit the region, best known internationally for tourism hotspots like Labuan Bajo and the Komodo National Park. 

Labuan Bajo Flores Earthquake.jpg

Labuan Bajo and Komodo National Park have become increasingly popular with tourists over the last five years. The region has soared in demand with travelers and has become an add-on destination for thousands of Bali travelers looking to expand their experiences in Indonesia.

While no flights between Bali and Labuan Bajo have been affected by the earthquakes and hundreds of aftershocks, the situation on the ground is serious, and tourists are being urged to be mindful of their travel plans in the coming weeks. 

Initial reports suggest that more than 5,000 people have been displaced as a result of the earthquake, with a further 3,000 currently housed in emergency shelters. The death toll currently stands at 68 people who lost their lives in the incident.

Speaking to reporters in a digital press conference on Monday, the Acting Head of the BNPB Disaster Data, Information, and Communication Center, Berton SP Panjaitan, explained: “The data we have obtained so far (the death toll) is 68 people.”

Adding, “We are continuing to monitor the development of the number of victims and will continue to report when more victims are found. And we continue to hope and pray that there will be no more deaths or injuries.”

Aid and support are being sent to East Nusa Tenggara from all around Indonesia, with communities across Bali rallying to fundraise and send support.  Free internet access is also available at several evacuation sites for earthquake-affected residents in East Nusa Tenggara. TelkomGroup is providing this facility to support community communication needs during the disaster response period.

The Bali Regional Police moved quickly to help communities affected by natural disasters in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) by sending five trucks of humanitarian aid to coincide with the commemoration of the 81st Anniversary of the Independence of the Republic of Indonesia.

Speaking to reporters, Bali Police Chief, Inspector General Daniel Adityajaya, said the aid delivery was a form of concern and solidarity from the Bali Police towards the people of NTT who are facing disaster.

He shared, “We are all deeply concerned about the disaster experienced by our brothers and sisters in NTT. Let us pray together that NTT will recover quickly.”

The aid sent consisted of 1,015 boxes of 600-milliliter mineral water, 318 boxes of instant noodles, 100 boxes of coconut biscuits, 5,500 blankets, 20 sheets of tarpaulin, 6,333 boxes of diapers, 250 thin mattresses, 60 boxes of milk, 250 folding mattresses, 250 boxes of wet wipes, and 250 boxes of dry wipes. 

Inspector Adityajaya said, “We hope the aid we’re sending via the Indonesian Air Force’s Hercules aircraft will arrive soon so it can be distributed to the evacuation points as quickly as possible.”

View of Labuan Bajo in Indonesia

He also called on the public to support those who are working on the ground to deliver what is actually needed and to support efforts to distribute aid to ensure the process runs in an orderly, safe, transparent, and targeted manner, supporting trusted sources.

He explained, “Ensure that this aid arrives promptly and is received by the people who truly need it. “When our brothers and sisters in NTT experience a disaster, it is our duty to be there and help ease their burden.”

View of Coastal in Labuan Bajo Indonesia

The Bali Regional Secretary Dewa Made Indra also confirmed that medical aid has been sent to Flores by the Bali Provincial Government and the Regional Disaster Management Agency (BPBD).

He shared, “A health team has been assigned to conduct an assessment. Five people have already departed, meaning they will assess the conditions there, what measures are in place, what assistance is needed, and what health resources are available there.” Bali Governor Wayan Koster is due to visit East Nusa Tenggara in the coming days. 

View of Pink Beach in Lombok.jpg

Tourists traveling to Bali and East Nusa Tenggara are urged to ensure they have fully comprehensive travel and health insurance and are aware of how to access support in the event of an emergency. Tourists traveling to the region from Australia are advised to keep yo to date with the latest travel advice from SmartTraveller.

Travellers set to visit East Nusa Tenggara in the coming weeks should check in directly with travel providers to assess if itineraries have been affected by the earthquake.

For the latest Bali News & Debate Join our Facebook Community

Plan Your Bali Holiday:

Book The Best English Speaking Drivers For Airport Transfers & Tours



Discover more from The Bali Sun

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.